With the crisp air and the beautiful foliage, October was already a fairly perfect time to visit Shenandoah Valley, but here’s another reason: Virginia Wine Month!
So, if you enjoy wine, here are six nearby wineries that need to be on your list when you visit:
- Barren Ridge Vineyards: Great wine and beautiful scenery only 6 miles away; frequent live music in the evening
- Ox-Eye Vineyards: Tasting room in downtown Staunton
- Afton Mountain Vineyards: Just on the other side of the Blue Ridge, 13 miles away
- Veritas Vineyards and Winery: 50 acres of grape vines; large indoor and outdoor facilities, practically next door to Afton Mountain Vineyards
- Rockbridge Vineyard: Halfway to Lexington. Use the bottom of an old silo as the tasting room bar. Large grounds for social distancing.
- Lexington Valley Vineyard: A smaller venue, off beautiful back roads.
I’m not commenting on taste, as that is personal preference, except to say I had no trouble grabbing a few bottles from my personal small collection for this photo! (Sorry Barren Ridge, I guess I drank all of yours and need to go back for more!)
All these tasting rooms have adapted to Covid-19 in various ways, especially to go to flights instead of tastings, or selling by the glass or bottle. Most have outdoor patio seating and/or expansive lawns to spread out to enjoy the wine and a picnic.